Friday, October 17, 2008

Random thoughts on a random day

Last weekend we went to the pumpkin patch festival at Fruitville Grove. There was food, music, ponies, tractor-train, birds and just plain fun! I love taking the kids to seasonal festivities because they love the train rides and Ryn loves riding the ponies (even if they only go in a circle). Like I said earlier, I love this age because they have so many question and curiosities and we as parents have the power to educate their little minds. I love being a mom. In everything they do I try to imagine what life must be like for them and it helps me stay on track and focused as to my life purpose/goal is as a parent. I know that along the way I will have my screw ups but if I can just instill the basic core values then I will be satisfied.
Right now we are INSTILLING the Golden Rule. You would think that it would be an easy concept to grasp in a 3 year old's mind but it doesn't seem to play out that way. It is hard teaching your kids those values and then out somewhere at the playground another kid totally acting in a unconscious way confuses them as to the way we are to act . Then I get the confused look on my kid's face wondering why they did not follow that "universal rule". At what point do they understand that not all moms and dads are able to give to their kids what we try to give to ours, LOVE. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs (1 Cor 13: 4-5). This is definitely one to put up on the memorize board.
To get to a lighter note, River is potty training. At home he usually does fine but it is the getting out of the house being the difficult part. This is because in order for River to pee on command he must either pee in the bath tub with his pants completely off and water running or on a tree. Both of these are usually hard to find at the grocery store. Day by day I am becoming more adventurous though. We did have a little unusual potty issue today: River pooped on the carpet. I thought it was the dog's poop until I realized it was also smeared down his leg. NICE. Oh the stories I can't wait to tell his wife and kids.
Hope you all have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Songbird Mama said...

Very cute story!
:))

Anonymous said...

That's a trip! I think it's funny how all of this stuff gets so "normal" after you become a mom... it's like you get together with your buddies and talk about how your kid threw up on you, or pooped his pants or something... gotta love it. :)