Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Time with the grandparents

So, Wren went back to GA with her grandparents for over a week. It has been 2 days and so far so good. River is enjoying his alone time with mom and dad but does want to talk to her on the phone. Wren on the other hand, is loving her alone time with Nanna and Papa and will not say more than just a few words on the phone to us.

We are lucky to have grandparents for the kids that understand the way we choose to raise our little ones in today's society. Of course they can not follow every rule of ours but as a whole we feel comfortable letting them take her for this time knowing she will not get sugar, meat, too much tv and hopefully depending on weather get some outside at the pond time, hiking with the dogs time, as well as library time.

I can remember spending quality time with my grandparents and loving every minute of it. My granddaddy would take me looking for worms so we could fish at sunset, tend to the garden (and they had 3 huge ones), visit with (show me off to) my grandmother's friends, and one of my favorite things...snuggling up with her for bed time.

My mom worked, as most moms do and this left me alone a good bit of time but when I was with my grandparents I got all of their attention all to myself and it was grand.

I think it is important for our children to get this alone times with the grandparents so they learn to respect the elder. Something about our society makes those over retirement age become a nuisance to others and I so disagree with this way of thinking. I see all the time the belittling of the aged man or woman because of their failing mind or body but there is still a person in there one that should be respected and learned from.

My mom died too too early in her life and I wish she was around to teach my kids the things that she learned late in her life. We all need to be learning especially from those who are much much older than us.

In the mean time not only does Wren get her alone time with her grandparents, River gets his alone time with us. As the second kid he hardly gets this time since big sis has always been around. This week is dedicated to spending more time with my little man (who is napping right now). And don't get me wrong, I am getting some much needed crafting time in too!!
**These dirty faces are from homemade agave ice cream and birthday cake**

3 comments:

Samantha said...

What beautiful messy faces. I remember the great days at grams house. I think Wren is in for a wonderful experience.

Anonymous said...

enjoy your time with river!!! thinking of you guys with love from this corner of town
:)

Songbird Mama said...

was this a reminder for the grands to not let her eat sweets and such?! haha