Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bringing back memories

Have you ever been back to a house that you grew up in after being away for 5, 10, 20 years? For me my childhood was so safe and loving. I had awesome grandparents that took me fishing on their lake and stay up late playing cards and eating ice cream w/ honey nut cereal on top. My grandparents were lucky enough to have a nice bit of land on the outskirts of a small town in north GA where they had cows and a few huge gardens. This is where the roots of who I am today were formed. I spent many of afternoons after school here fishing, helping my grandparents out in the garden, canning all of those tomatoes and just loving nature.

This lasted until my grandmother started to lose her memory (and my granddad past away a hand full of years before that), when I was in middle school, then which she moved closer to town and out of the country. This was the beginning of that nostalgic childhood feeling going away as I became more responsible for her as she did for me.

There was something about that time when I was younger that I felt time pasted so slowly and that nothing could go wrong.

Now that I will be 31 at the end of the month I am trying to slow down time even more now than ever before. If anyone has figured out the way to do this please send me an email. The only bit of advise that I heard over and over when I had my first kid was cherish this time as you can never get it back. I feel that both Jason and I try to do this because sometimes we as Americans can get our priorities all mixed up. GOD, spouse, kids and everything else should fall into place. I try to remind myself this everyday.

A few weeks ago, I went back to that farmland that has so many warm fuzzy feelings for me and spent some time breathing that air and remembering what it was like 20 years ago being a young girl helping my grand mommy in the garden and staying up late playing cards.

No matter how busy or stressed we get over the next few months during this sensitive economical state we need to remember our families. Use this time to regroup and maybe re prioritize and draw closer to The one constant...God and our family.

Here are some shots of the farm that I took while there the other week. The garden is gone, the garden house is falling in and many on the huge old beautiful southern magnolia trees are gone but I still felt that spirit there and I embraced it.

Take the time this week and remind your spouse why you love them and your family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can definitly relate to going back to the place that you call home. It's a strange warm fuzzy feeling because nothing is ever the same and you never like the changes, but the feel is there, or is it just our memories of it?

Melanie said...

Loved this post. So true that we all get so caught up in the "stresses" of life. We are extremely lucky for so many reasons, one being that we live in this beautiful country and are so fortunate to be able to freely and openly worship our maker. I wish so much that while I was still a teenager I would have had the wisdom of enjoying the moments we have on this earth and not wishing for the future to come sooner. It seems like we are always looking forward to things to come more so than loving the time we are in. Thanks for the reminder Holly. Miss you guys.